Monday, February 26, 2007

Love to love

This weekend made me realize that my family has been a totem in my development as an individual.

Moving Nanny Duncan to Chestnut Noll made me remember times I spent with her as a kid and even into young adulthood. Even though Nanny Duncan can no longer remember those times, she still knows my face. I still make her cry by kissing her head and reminding her how much she is loved. I don't have the best memory of everyone I know, but I can remember things like; Sunday school, Nan checking my toothbrush to make sure I did indeed, brush; the weekend Gwen came to sleep over with me at Nan's; playing board game upon board game after home-cooked "supper"; bacon sandwiches; aprons; handmade tablecloths; playing Barbie in the basement (those weird pink/brown patterned blocks of carpet on the floor); pop's snoring in his red recliner; poppy g. showing me his hornet (trumpet); her laugh, her smell; her bedtime prayer.

Life as a kid rolls on by without ever trying to memorialize moments with family. You don't know then that life goes on, that you grow up and may forget those times, that your loved ones will pass away, that church may stink now, but will be one of the best memories you have of your grandparents. I wish I could remember more. I wish I had recongized the beauty of every moment back then as i do now.

I realize now that there is no time to stay angry at anyone, to resent a past that is unchangeable, to idly stand by and not attend every chance I can get to spend time with those i love. time is precious...and family is dear to my heart.

No comments: