Thursday, July 10, 2008

One month down...

I have GOT to blog more often...


To say we survived the first month would be slighting the fact that though we made it, Ted and I are still sick after the first month of my starting work and Romy starting daycare. We are both battling a reoccurring sinus infection. Romy is feeling better, although the poor thing was battling an ear infection and a cold and then busted a tooth through. Little did we know she was working on the latter since all the symptoms correspond with having a cold….of which she had anyway. The first month has been a tough one. One where household chores have been thrown to the back seat and meal-making has become a juggling act with baby to mom and baby to dad in order to keep baby happy while dinner is made.

Over the past month I have learned that being a working mommy is a bit of a chore. Learning to prioritize and being able to put Romy and Ted first in lieu of cleaning has been a struggle for me. I HATE a dirty kitchen. There have been more and more times when the kitchen has been dirty when I turn in for bed. Of course, the fact that I have been combating a sinus infection, coming, going and coming back again, have made it that more difficult for me to stay energized enough to complete chores after Romy goes to bed. After she hits the sack….we are short to follow. It’s no wonder that parents drink so much caffeine…

Romy’s schedule is as follows: Monday and Tuesday, Jackie (Grandmother) watches her at our house; Wednesday she goes to “school” (I call daycare this as it seems less of a nanny situation since she is really learning when she is there), Thursday my mom (Nana) comes to the house and Friday, school again. It is nice to NOT have to pack her bag every day, especially on Mondays.

I keep waiting for Romy to show more interest in crawling but so far her efforts are moving her entire body backwards and becoming irritated when she finds herself more out of reach from the toy that is in front of her. I like to hold her hands and have her stand on the floor. I’m trying to work on her standing from a sitting position. She loves to stand on the floor and tries moving like she is walking. She understands the theory of one foot in front of the other so that is a start.

I have noticed how different she is with me than with Ted. Ted makes her smile and laugh – he is the funny parent. I guess I’m all business because she seems to know how to work me. For instance…she knows if she spits out her pacifier enough times that I will eventually offer her the breast whereas she will have to cry herself to sleep with Daddy. I think weaning her from the breast will be difficult. I have been trying to let her go longer and longer in her crib but it seems like one meal during the night is what we are sticking to for now. While she was trying to push out that first tooth, she wanted to suckle all night long. And of course, I let her. And of course….I went unrested.

She is eating more and more food throughout the day. I am still only breast feeding her for breakfast and then she gets (BM) milk and food at lunch and (BM) milk and food for dinner. She is nursed to go to sleep if she needs some comforting and isn’t tired enough to put herself to sleep. Again, I think I spoil her with nursing…

I’m going to TRY to continue breast feeding her until it becomes an issue with teeth or low on supply. Right now I am pumping once a day, which seems adequate, but I have had to dip into my frozen supply more times than one. To go without formula is my goal….but it’s a difficult (and exhausting) goal to attain.

The new job is going well. The convenience of being so close to home is GREAT! The people are friendly and the atmosphere relaxed. It’s nice to have a reason to get dressed up – although getting dressed up some mornings is challenging. Doing my hair has become a feat in its own. I wear it up more often than down. Washing it has to be done at night. Styling it should be done at night too, but I often find myself going to bed with a wet head and then throwing it up in the morning. Two months ago I had 5 inches cut off and thought I was ready to go short. I ended up so annoyed with how short it was I am now growing it back out again.

Summer is flying by and I just thought the other day that we really have no summer events planned. I had thought that joining the pool would be fun, but I’m glad we didn’t because I have no idea when we would find the time to go. I think when Romy needs me less, planning more events will become a necessity. Right now, it seems she is in my lap more often than not.

I was giggling at her this morning while she stared down the basement steps through the cat door for about 5 minutes. She was enamored by whatever it was she saw. Perhaps thinking to herself, I wonder if I could fit through there? She is still delighted with the animals. She reaches for them and pets them with full hand when she can. I am trying to teach her “gently” when petting since she goes at them with full hand open and closes grabbing a full hand of fur. Get an animal on an “off” day – she may get bitten.

Speaking of which….she loves to pinch me. She reaches and stretches when she is nursing and PINCHES! It HURTS. I gently grab her hand and firmly say NO. Any ideas on how to handle that would be appreciated.

When she does become mobile, we will have a lot of child-proofing to do. As it is, we will need to become more conscious about what we leave out and where she can reach. I already think she will be eating dogfood if we don’t’ move it. She enjoys watching Walden when he eats. She rests in her walker, watches and giggles.

Her smile melts me. Her giggles fill me with joy. Her motions and movements make me proud. Although I whine (more than I should probably) – everything she does sparks an emotion in me.

I am so blessed with this life.

No comments: