Tuesday, July 22, 2008

moving on up

Romy has been pulling up into a standing position, with assistance, for the past week. She will hold onto my fingers and pull until she is in a full standing position and then she begins to giggle and coo. Romy does this hilarious thing with her voice when she is happy. it sounds like a hiccup (I’ll have to tape it so I have it forever). You know she is really happy when she makes this noise. On her 7 month birthday, July 18th, I sat her next to the dishwasher as I unloaded it. Next thing I know, she reached up and placed her hands on the opened door and pulled herself into standing. Her first reaction was fear as I looked at her gasping to cry but that quickly turned into a hiccup with giggles. Then she looked at me with the question – now what? And kept on giggling.

This past weekend was a mommy weekend. She seemed so comfortable with me. So much so, that she would not nap well for fear of missing out on time with me or fear that I will be gone when she wakes up. She has not been napping well for me, but does well for everyone else. I wonder what this is about.

She had begun to roll about when she sleeps. Ted and I have discussed dropping the mattress so she will not be able to climb out. I guess the rule of thumb is that when the child can pull themselves up, it’s time to lower the mattress. I watch her when she isn’t looking and see her rolling this way and that and kicking her legs about. She has become a bit more interested in her crib.

Her eyes are still changing. They seem very hazel. I’m not sure if they are changing to brown or not. Every day they appear a different color.

I am not sure where she picked it up but recently she began to lower her voice very raspy (sounds like she is possessed) and then coughs and then begins again. It sounds so funny. It is almost as if she knows she is being funny.

Romy hung out with her friend Meredith last night. Meredith is two months older than she is. It’s neat because they will go to the same school. Her mommy, Sheri and I are hoping that they are friends…because we will remain friends. It is nice to have a mommy friend to hang out with and share baby experiences and relate to. Meredith is starting to try to walk. She walks while holding onto one finger from mommy. It’s great to see her develop. She is conquering milestone after milestone. Romy watches and is so intent. Won’t be long before she is mobile!!!

No comments: